We find it hard to adapt to new customs or traditions, so different from the ones we are used to.
The only thing we always have to bear in mind is RESPECT
This is a sentence by William of Wykeham (1324-1404) and is the motto of Winchester College and New College, Oxford. What do think it means? What do you understand by "manners" ?
Listen to a famous song by Sting that deals with it and do the following tasks.
1. Write three customs or personal characteristics he mentions that make him different?
2. Write two pieces of advice he gives you.
3. Complete. __________ and __________ can lead to notoriety
__________ and __________ are rare in this society.
4. What does "at night a candle's brighter than the sun" mean?
3. What qualities should a gentleman have?
4. What doesn't make a man?
"An Englishman in New York" (1987) Sting
Now listen to the song with the lyrics and check your answers.