Every March 8th we celebrate International Women's Day. As I always do, I've been trying to include something new this year.
The UN has organised lots of events, here you have some to know more about it.
WOMEN FOOTPRINT IN HISTORY
A timeline where you can meet relevant women in history
Do you know about other important women in history and their achievents?
Read this year's UNITED NATIONS SECRETARY-GENERAL BAN KI-MOON'S MESSAGE
- What problems which women suffer in the world are mentioned?
- What do "the glass ceiling" and "a carpet of shards" refer to?
- What actions has the Secretary made in favour of women?
- How many Parliaments don’t have women now?
- Name two campaigns who are fighting in favour of women
- What do you think of Confucius’ sentence: “ To put the world in order, we must begin in our own circles”.What does it remind you of?
As you already know, this year's theme is “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality” in clear reference to the Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 especially
- No. 5 "Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
- No. 4 "Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning"
- By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education.
- By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys have access to quality early childhood development, care and preprimary education so that they are ready for primary education.
- End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere.
- Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation.
- Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation.
Do you think these goals could be achieved?
Which do you think is the most difficult to get? why?
Do you think girls are discriminated in our society? how?
* MORE ON GENDER EQUALITY IN MY WEBPAGE: Emma Watson's speech at UN, HeforShe campaign etc.
* TO READ OTHER POSTS WITH ACTIVITIES IN THIS BLOG, CLICK HERE
* WATCH AN OUSTANDING VIDEO BY CHIMAMANDA ADICHIE " We Should all be Feminists"